Applying Utah CDL - Endorsement P (Passenger)

by Joshua on August 29, 2014

If you want to be issued a commercial driver’s license P endorsement (CDL) in the State of Utah, there is special training that you must receive. You must also submit a medical certificate, take a written test, and then apply in person for the license at any office of the Utah Department of Public Safety Works (DPS).

Since 9186, it has been illegal to have more than one license. You have to choose between having either a regular license or a commercial license. You can only have state of issuance as well for your license. It was a regular practice of drivers in the past, to cover up bad histories by getting several different ones. However, that is the past. Today, there is a national database that all departments of motor vehicles, have access to.

If you have a commercial license, then you must carry a current copy of your medical examination certificate with you, at all times when driving.

You need a CDL if carrying passengers in the following instances.

  • If you are going to be driving a vehicle designed to transport 16 passengers, including the driver (Or more).

In the State of Utah , outside companies are certified by the State to train drivers for their CDL licenses. After your training is done, you can take your tests with then as well. You do however; reserve the right to take our test at a Field office run by the state.

Where to Apply

There are offices all over the state of Utah, where you can apply for your CDL. Usually, you only need to make appointment to apply for your CDL. Different offices, have different hours, so be sure to call first and find out what time they are open. Some provide both permit and license testing, but not all, so be sure to check.

These days, you need to also have a commercial Driver License Medical Self-Certification that you can provide as well. You must also provide the DPS with a federal medical certificate.

Required Testing

After you finish training for your “CDL” and have the aforementioned medical certificates, there are two tests that you have to undergo. You have to complete the written knowledge test as well as the on the road test (Skills). Both of these tests are required in addition to the medical certification that you have to have as well.

Inspecting the type of vehicle that you are attaining your license for, is a very important part of the training required for the testing process. You will need plenty of practice as actual skills as well/. You will have to demonstrate the ability to drive in varying conditions, varying road surfaces, how to turn, reverse, stop and park properly.

None of the written tests are open book tests. You must properly prepare ahead of time. Depending on the type of certification you are looking for, there are different criteria. For the written test.

  • You have to pass the General knowledge exam
  • You have to pass a special transport test if you are a bus driver applicant.

Once again, the medical certificate is needed to, as mandated by federal law. You need this before you even get a learner’s permit , which allows you to practice for the actually road test. You need your permit in order to do this within the law. You cannot operate a commercial vehicle in any capacity, even learning with someone in the vehicle, without an official learner permit.

Once you the written tests are overcome and you believe that you can safely drive the vehicle you are applying for, and then you can take the skills test. You will drive your vehicle for an authorized tester at a pre-arranged time. This can be either at the local field office or a contracted company.

You will have to demonstrate the inspection of your vehicle before any trip. You will have to demonstrate your ability to control the vehicle in all conditions, and drive safely at all times. There is a detailed breakdown of this in the driver handbook available at all field offices, and contracted facilities.

You have to be at least 18 years of age, to get a CDL P endorsement in the State of Utah. You will need the following documentation to get your CDL.

  • Current driver license.
  • Social security card
  • Medical Card
  • Required fees.


  • Knowledge test for CDL is $40
  • Skills Test – $60
  • Endorsement tests – $7 each (Passenger, bus)

The Utah commercial driver’s manual is a good place to learn basic information, but you will need to be professionally trained to drive a commercial motor vehicle.

100% Money Back Guarantee If You Fail
If you don't pass your written test we will REFUND you 100% of your purchase with us.

What Are You Studying For?