How to get your Virginia CDL Endorsement H (Hazardous Material) License

by Joshua on October 03, 2014

If you want to drive a big rig that transport Hazardous Materials, there are a litany of qualifications and standards you must abide by. In order to get a Virginia CDL – Endorsement H , you have to be twenty-one years and not have had your driver’s license revoked by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. Another thing you have to do is apply for a state to state transportation CDL permit. This will allow you to drive across the United States. You can get this done at a local Virginia DMV. In order to get this permit, you have to be at least eighteen years old with the above qualifications. A valid driver’s license is a must.

Virginia CDL – Requirements

If you do not have a Virginia driver’s license, you will need to have a couple of documents with you to get your Virginia CDL – Endorsement H for Hazardous Materials. These requirements are as followed:

  • You are 18 years of age or older
  • Birth date proof
  • Signature proof
  • Your birth certificate
  • Government Issue Identification
  • Proof of residency in the state of Virginia is a must
  • The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles will not accept any photocopies.

It is by federal law that a CDL applicant must have a government issued number from the Social Security Administration. Then means the applicant must be sent through the National Driver Register and the CDL Information System. This has to be done to verify the status of the driver within the United States, and most importantly in the state of Virginia.

You also must get a medical certification in order to be cleared to drive a commercial vehicle in the state of Virginia. This would basically require a physical through a local physician. You can deliver the results and other documentations to your local DMV Office or by stamp envelope in the mail.

Remember, in order to get you Virginia CDL, you must first have a CDL Permit. You cannot advance without one. It is a process. But it can be done quickly if you allow it.

  1. Fees

Like most Commercial Driver’s Licenses, there are fees to get your CDL. The state of Virginia offers some of the lowest CDL fees around. Too keep a valid CDL for eight years; it will only cost you $8.00 per year plus $1 each year for the H Endorsement. It is basically calculated based on how long it will take until you must renew the license.

  1. Road Test Requirements

After you have everything in order, you will be able to take your Road Test. There are also certain requirements to the road test. These requirements are as followed:

  • Bring in your CDL Application
  • Bring in your CDL Permit
  • Bring you unexpired Virginia Driver’s License
  • Bring your medical card that has been clear through Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles medical certification program.
  • You must bring a sponsor to take your road test. The sponsor must be at least or over the age of twenty-one.
  • Bring a commercial vehicle that is equipped to handle such a certification
  • Bring all paperwork pertaining to the above mentioned vehicle.

In the state of Virginia, a road test will require you to have an inspection sticker on your commercial vehicle before taking the exam. It must pass the entire road standards required for a commercial motor vehicle in the state of Virginia . This is issued through the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.

Getting a Virginia CDL – Endorsement H (Hazardous Material)

After passing the road test, you have to take a written test to get your Endorsement H for Hazardous Materials. You do not have to take another road test for this. But in some cases (which are extremely rare), you may have to take an Endorsement H road test. If that is the case, then you must take it along with the written test.
If a customer wanted to apply for CDL out-of-state transfer, they may do so by applying for the H Endorsement. This is due to federal laws and requirements. Once you complete these requirements, your application will be properly processed and completed within ten to fifteen business days.

Please be aware that you will have to take a hazmat certification which may or may not include classroom time. This certification will also include a background check. Keep in mind you are transporting hazardous chemicals and materials and the United State government does not allow just anyone to do so.
For more information or concerns about getting your Commercial Driver’s License H Endorsement, please visit the official state website.

100% Money Back Guarantee If You Fail
If you don't pass your written test we will REFUND you 100% of your purchase with us.

What Are You Studying For?