AB 60 Latest & Greatest: Californians Experience Long Lines
AB 60 Updates in California continue to roll in. The most worrisome finding? Long lines.
Roxanna Kopetman reported for The OC Register that the DMV is a madhouse, and even those with appointments have long waits.
Here are some important things to remember:
- As of December 1, 2014, all first-time drivers applicants MUST have an appointment.
- If you can handle your DMV matter online, you are STRONGLY encouraged to do so.
Vehicle registrations and renewals are examples of matters that don’t require coming into the DMV. If you have a matter that can be serviced online, handle it online. Click “here” for a full list of online services.:https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/dmv/onlinesvcs
- Be prepared for the written exam.
Given the long waits, you don’t want to among the 50%+ that fail the exam. Read the CA Driver’s Manual. Take online practice tests to see if you are ready. “DMVCheatSheets.com”:https://www.dmvcheatsheets.com/dmv/CA-California offers both review sheets and online practice tests in both English and Spanish.
- According to the blog Kexlabs, the best days to go to the DMV are Wednesday or Thursday. Monday and Friday the wait times are far greater. This analysis of wait time data hasn’t been updated since April 2014 (pre-AB 60) but it’s quite interesting for those pondering when to hit the DMV. The analysis also includes DMV specific data to point you in the direction of the most efficient DMV in your area.
With 96,000 AB 60 applicants visiting DMV offices last week alone, YES, it’s frustrating. But, this law will improve many immigrants lives by making life easier for them. It will make the roads safer for everyone, and it will greatly improve the chances that if a driver hits your car, he or she will have insurance.
Here’s an overview of the latest statistics released by the CA DMV:
The CA DMV plans to release updated stats each Tuesday, and will release a monthly report at the beginning of February 2015.
The following statistics are from January 3, 2015 to Friday, January 9, 2015:
- Approximate number of AB 60 driver licenses issued last week: 10,100
- Total approximate number issued since January 2, 2015: 11,070
- Approximate number of AB 60 applicants who visited a DMV office last week: 96,000
- Total approximate number who visited an office since January 2, 2015: 113,200
- Approximate number of AB 60 driver license exams (written or behind-the-wheel) administered last week: 96,000
- Total approximate number of exams since January 2, 2015: 109,700
- I Just Moved to Missouri. How Do I Transfer My Driver's License and Vehicle Registration?
- I Just Moved to Wisconsin. How Do I Get My Driver's License and Vehicle Registration?
- I Just Moved to Arizona. How Do I Transfer My Driver's License and Vehicle Registration?
- I Just Moved to Maryland. How Do I Get My Driver's License and Vehicle Registration?
- I Just Moved to Colorado. How Do I Transfer My Driver's License and Vehicle Registration
- All Articles