From the Rhode Island DMV

Limited Instruction Permit

  • If you are between the ages of 16 – 18, you need to have completed a 33 -hour driver education course certified by the Community College of Rhode Island.
  • The Rhode Island Driver Education Program is administered by CCRI.
  • If you have completed an out-of-state driver education course it must be approved by the Community College of Rhode Island ( Once you have completed the course and passed the written exam you will be given a certificate. You need to submit that certificate along with a completed permit application to the DMV.
  • Applicants for permits must show:
    • A certified birth certificate (not a copy)
    • Driver Education certificate
    • A Social Security card
  • Your parent, legal guardian, licensed foster parent or adult spouse must sign the permit application and have their signature notarized. If your parent, guardian or foster parent accompanies you to the DMV, they must show ID in order to have their signature notarized on the permit application. If you have a legal guardian or licensed foster parent, they must have documentation to verify this.
  • This permit is valid for one year.
  • The fee for an instruction permit is $11.50

Rhode Island Road Test Information

  • You must have your permit in your possession. Your permit is your identification in order to take the road test.
  • Your vehicle must be registered in Rhode Island with only two exceptions:
    If the vehicle is registered to a family member of a military person and/or the military person is stationed in Rhode Island. Valid military ID will be required. All other rules apply.
    A driving school with an valid out-of-state registration must have a current Special Rhode Island Financial Responsibility Insurance Certificate (Form GU-133-8B) on file with the Division of Motor Vehicle’s Financial Responsibilty Section. A copy of this form must also be presented to the examiner at the road test site. All other rules apply.
  • You must present the vehicles’s valid registration.
  • You must present a valid insurance identification card.
  • There must be two plates on the vehicle.
  • The vehicle must have a valid inspection sticker that has not expired (Exception: Vehicles under two (2) years old or with less than 24,000 miles are not required to have an inspection sticker).
    If the registered owner of the vehicles is not present, you must have a notarized letter from the owner giving you permission to use the vehicle.
100% Money Back Guarantee If You Fail
If you don't pass your written test we will REFUND you 100% of your purchase with us.