How to Renew your State ID Card in New Jersey
Individuals who do not have a driver’s license must have a state identification card if a resident of the state of New Jersey . While the ID card is not good for operation of a motor vehicle it serves as a source of identification for people over the age of 18. The ID card contains a photograph and other information including ID number, address, social security number, etc. A person has the option of omitting certain information from their ID if they desire to do so, including their social security number. The Identification card is issued by the state of New Jersey and must be renewed once every four years.
Renewing your ID Card: What you’ll Need
In order to renew an ID card in New Jersey there are a few pieces of identification needed to provide. The state uses the 6-point verification system in order to provide IDs and driver’s license to resident of the state. The identification needed to provide must meet the criteria for the 6-point verification system. Under this system the following four items must be provided:
- One form of primary id
- One form of secondary ID
- Proof of address
- Social Security Number
Acceptable forms include the following:
- US Identification card
- US Passport
- US Department of health Birth certificate
- Active Military ID card
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Current Boat License
- US Adoption Papers
- Military Discharge Papers
- US School ID
- High school diploma, GED or college diploma
- Credit Card Bull
- Copy of Lease
- Piece of federal mail marked within the past 30 days
New Jersey residents must provide this documentation at the time of the renewal of their identification. This is a very strict documentation process however it is in place for a reason and so far things have been very successful under the program.
How to Renew Your ID
Renewing your New Jersey ID is simple and easy no matter which town or city that you reside in. a trip to the Motor vehicle Commission (VHC) nearest you is one option for ID renewal. ID can be renewed if you want to save a trip to the VHC, and online renewal options are also available to eligible individuals.
If you plan to renew in any method other than walk in be sure to allow plenty of time for the processing of your renewal application and for the new ID to be mailed to you. If you do not time this accurately you may be without valid identification for a period of time and without ID things can really get difficult. If you walk in keep in mind that an appointment may be required and it may take several weeks to get this appointment.
Renewals can be made up to six months in advance. Before you go into make your renewal make sure that you have adhered to the 6-point policy and have all of the documentation needed to renew your license .if you do not have all of the items that are required renewal will not be granted.
Keep in mind there is a fee associated with obtaining a renewed ID. The cost of the ID is $12 and can be paid in cash or by credit card. This fee must be paid on the date that the renewal is made. This fee must be paid each time the id is renewed.
Helpful ID Renewal Tips
Renewing an ID can be a dreaded process for anyone who has the need. It can take lots of time and headache to achieve this one simple task. However it is not always necessary to go through the hassle to simply renew your ID, and with these helpful tips you will find that it is easier than ever before.
- Choosing your renewal time wisely can greatly enhance your experience with the MVC. The best time to plan your visit is during the facility’s slow times, typically during mid-week and the middle of the day. Visiting at one of these times will present you with a shorter wait time and many other benefits.
- Have all of the documentations needed ready when you arrive to renew your id. This will make the time smoother and the process simpler. Make sure that you have originals as no copies will be accepted.
Ensure that you can pass the 6 point requirements. This qualification must be met. It is in effort to prevent identity theft and is in place for your protection. No one can be granted identification card if they do not have the documents that are required to pass this.
- I Just Moved to Missouri. How Do I Transfer My Driver's License and Vehicle Registration?
- I Just Moved to Wisconsin. How Do I Get My Driver's License and Vehicle Registration?
- I Just Moved to Arizona. How Do I Transfer My Driver's License and Vehicle Registration?
- I Just Moved to Maryland. How Do I Get My Driver's License and Vehicle Registration?
- I Just Moved to Colorado. How Do I Transfer My Driver's License and Vehicle Registration
- All Articles