(Excerpts from the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet)

Obtaining A Kentucky Driver License

If you are a Kentucky resident, 18 years of age or 16 years with a learners permit and the required hours behind the wheel, you can apply for a Kentucky driver license. You will need to take a vision, written and road test if you are a new driver. The easiest way to pass your written test is with the $CSLINK.

Transferring from Out-of-State to Kentucky

If you are moving to Kentucky you have 30 days to obtain a KY driver’s license. You must be a US citizen or permanent resident. Proof of Kentucky residency is required. A complete list of acceptable documents can be found in the $CSLINK or on the KY transportation website. If your out-of-state license is still valid, you will not need to take any tests, however, if you license is expired for more than one year, you will need to provide a copy of your current driving record or retake your written, vision and road tests.

You can apply at the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office in the Kentucky County of your residence.

Requirements for Social Security Number and Birth Certificate verification

  • The name on your driver license should be your legal name, if not you will need to take a copy of your birth certificate or a legal document showing your name change to the clerk’s office to have your driver license information corrected.
  • If your social security card does not contain your legal name you will need to go to your local Social Security Administration field office to have your information updated in the Federal Social Security Administration database.
  • If your driver license has your new married name, but your social security card does not, you will need to go to your local Social Security Administration field office to have a social security card issued with your new last name.


The type of license you apply for will determine the cost of the license.

100% Money Back Guarantee If You Fail
If you don't pass your written test we will REFUND you 100% of your purchase with us.