District of Columbia Learner's Permit Test
Study Material AvailableDMVCheatSheets.com offers a variety of options to help you easily prepare for and pass the District of Columbia Learner's Permit Test.
- District of Columbia DMV Online Practice Test
- Washington DC DMV Cheat Sheet
Getting a Learners permit in District of Colombia
All new drivers between the ages of 16 and 21 must complete the graduated license program in order to receive full driving privileges in the state. This process begins with a learners permit issued through the DMV office.
The process for receiving a learner’s permit is similar to that of the actual licensing process and will require several steps to complete.
Requirements to getting a learners permit
Applicants must be at least 16 years old at the time of application and will require a parental consent form. In addition, all new permit applicants must provide proof of identity, residency and citizenship in order to begin the testing process. A valid social security card or equivalent must also be provided to proceed.
Driver’s education is not required for new drivers within the state. However adults and the parents of teen drivers may download several comprehensive guides online at the DMV website that will provide instruction for the learning process. Parents may download and addition guide directly specifically for an instructional guide when teaching teenagers safe driving.
A vision screening and written knowledge exam dmvcheatsheets.com must also be taken to complete the process.
Driving with an DC learners Permit
There are three stages to the graduated license process, each of which will consist of a mixture of book study and on the road driving practice time. During the first stage of the process, new drivers will learn the basics of motor vehicle control behind the wheel. There are several restrictions during this phase that must be followed while practicing.
- All new drivers under age 21 must hold a valid permit for 6 months and use this time to practice driving skills.
- Practice driving time must be logged in a valid practice certification sheet and signed by the licensed driver over 21 that accompanied the driver during practice.
- Drivers must complete 40 hours of regular practice during the day and 10 hours of night driving. Two separate driving logs showing these times must be generated and will be required to take the road test.
Steps to getting a learners permit in District of Colombia
There are several steps in receiving a permit and must be completed by all new drivers under the age of 21:
- Begin at the Department of Motor vehicles where you will turn in the required proofs. These will include the proof of identity, age and citizenship or legal presence in the US. Proof of residency and a valid social security number must also be provided.
- For minors under the age of 18 a written parental consent form is also required at this time.
- The permit applicant will then take the vision screening and written test.
- You will be required to pay a $20 learner permit fee and a $10 written test fee.
Once you have passed the test you will be issued a learners permit or learner’s license, allowing you restricted driving with an adult over the age of 21 years old.