West Virginia Driver's License Written Test
Study Material AvailableDMVCheatSheets.com offers a variety of options to help you easily prepare for and pass the West Virginia Driver's License Written Test.
- West Virginia DMV Cheat Sheet
- West Virginia DMV Online Practice Test
New West Virginia Drivers License
Which License is for you?
All new drivers for any type must complete the application process at your local DMV if you wish to partake in the privilege of driving in West Virginia. There are several license types you may be required to apply for including:
- Level 2 restricted licenses are issued to first time drivers under the age of 17.
- Standard Class E license is a full privilege license issued to any adult wishing to operate a personal vehicle for daily use.
- A Class D license is required for those driving a non-commercial vehicle for hire such as a light van for transportation of goods.
- Any resident wishing to operate a motorcycle must apply for either a Class F motorcycle license or an endorsement on your current driver’s license.
- A CDL or commercial license may be given to any adult resident wishing to operate a commercial vehicle for work.
What are the Requirements for getting a License?
The state of WV has recently converted its licensing program to meet federal guides in the REAL ID www.dmvcheatsheets.com program so several pieces of documentation will be required at the time of licensing including:
- One proof of identity showing full legal name and birth date, as well as legal presence in the US.
- One proof of social security usually in the form of a signed social security card. Alternative documents from the approved list may also be accepted.
- One proof of legal name change if your name has ever changed.
- Two proofs of West Virginia residency- Lists B and C are available online at the DMV website and you must have two from list B or one from Lists B and C
- Minor drivers must also provide either a drivers log with proof that the 50 hours driving requirement has been fulfilled with driving with a learners permit signed by a parent or guardian or proof of successful completion of an approved driver’s education course.
- Minors must also have a signed parent consent form and drivers eligibility certification from school.
- All new drivers must have a valid permit at the time of application- minors are required to have held the permit for 6 months, adult drivers for 30 days.
- The required licensing fees of $15 and a $5 testing fee are required in the form of a check, cash or money order.
What Tests do I need to get a License?
- A written knowledge test is issued to new permit and new license applicants. You must correctly answer 19 out of 25 questions to pass.
- A road test is given to new first time drivers as part of the licensing process. You must properly demonstrate an ability to handle a vehicle on roadways and show your knowledge of road signs and traffic laws to pass.
- The vision screen is given during the licensing and renewal process to assure you can properly see to drive safely.
Taking a Drivers Education Course
Driver’s education is not mandatory however it can be used as an alternative to the required 50 hours of practice time for minors with a level 1 learner’s permit.
Preparing for the Written Test
You must prepare for the written test in advance if you wish to pass. The $5 testing fee allows you two attempts at the written test and if you cannot pass you must pay the fee an additional time for each try. The test will consist of multiple choice questions concerning important traffic laws you must obey while driving so it is important you study your learning material.
Materials that you should use to study will include your Drivers Handbook containing all the laws, rules and signs you need to know. In addition, use cheat sheets offered by dmvcheatsheets.com to assure a passing score. You may also use practice tests found on the website to practice taking the written test for more preparation. Many informative articles also exist that will assure you are ready for the testing process.
What to Bring on Test Day
The day of the written and vision tests you will need the following:
- Your required proofs of identity, citizenship and residency.
- Your social security card, an approved alternative or proof of legal presence.
- Minors bring your drivers eligibility certificate from your school, a high school diploma or GED and a signed parental consent form.
- You will also need your $15 license fee and $5 dollar testing fee in the form of a check, cash or money order.
- A valid learner’s permit.
Costs of a Drivers Test
A $5 testing fee is required in addition to your license fee.
Taking the Written Test
The written test will be issued to you after you have submitted all required documents and passed a vision screening. No cell phones are allowed in the testing room. The multiple choice test will consist of 25 questions and you must correctly answer 19 to pass the test. Each question will test you knowledge of traffic laws, rules and regulations as well as you ability to recognize signs and signals.
You must study your learning materials to pass. This will include your Drivers handbook and cheat sheets from www.dmvcheatsheets.com if you wish to complete the test on the first try. You may also take practice tests in order to check your comprehension of the materials while studying.
Taking the Driving Test
The drivers test will assure the state that you are fully prepare to safely operate a vehicle on roadways and can obey traffic laws. You will be tested on your ability to locate and use safety equipment such as seat belts, headlights and windshield wipers. In addition your ability to control the vehicle will be observed such as an ability to stop and accelerate smoothly and park the vehicle. The test will be administered on roadways to evaluate your knowledge and usage of traffic laws such as yielding a right of way, turning at an intersection and following traffic signs.
Practice as must as possible with a learners permit before taking the test and read some helpful articles www.dmvcheatsheets.com that will better prepare you for great driving.
Renewing your West Virginia Drivers License
Who needs to renew their license?
Your driver’s license expires every five years on your birthday and you must renew at this time if you wish to continue the driving privilege.
How do I renew my West Virginia License?
You may renew your license at any local DMV branch office in person. Bring your current license and one proof of residency to the office during branch hours to renew. You will need to pay your $15 renewal fee for a five year license and receive a temporary paper license while your new license is processes. For those not yet converted to the REAL ID program you will also need to bring your required proofs. A new photo will be taken.
What tests do I need to take to renew?
If your license has been expired for more than six months you will need to repeat the testing program including the vision screening, written knowledge test and road skills test.
Preparing to renew my West Virginia license
If your license is not compliant with REAL ID standards you must gather one proof of identity, one proof of social security or alternative and two proofs of residency before renewing. All other renewals must obtain one proof of residency and your current license.
What is the cost to renew my license?
Your license will cost $2.50 per year issued plus 50 cents per year voters’ fee. Each five year license will cost a total of $15 to renew. A $5 late fee will be charged to those renewing after expiration.
Steps to renew your license
You must bring your current license and one proof of residency if you have already converted your license to the new REAL ID program. Those that have not yet converted must bring the following proofs:
- One proof of identity showing full legal name and birth date.
- A social security card or approved alternative. If you do not have a social security number you must provide proof of legal presence in the US.
- Two proofs of residency in the state.
- Proof of any name change you have undergone is required.
Once proper documentation has been submitting, you will retake a photograph and pay your renewal fees to complete the process.