Virginia Learner's Permit Test
The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicle (Virginia DMV) is responsible for issuing driving learner’s permits, driver’s licenses, vehicle registration and titles, ID services, license plates and more. While the Virginia DMV’s website provides a number of online services, they appear to have very few oriented towards those looking for a driver’s license. You cannot schedule an appointment online but you can find the location of your nearest office to apply.
Study Material AvailableDMVCheatSheets.com offers a variety of options to help you easily prepare for and pass the Virginia Learner's Permit Test.
- Virginia DMV Cheat Sheet
- Virginia DMV Online Practice Test
Getting a Virginia Learners Permit
Who needs a learners permit?
All new drivers of any age require a learner’s permit as part of the licensing process and new drivers may begin the process at age 16 and 3 months.
Requirements for getting a learners permit
- Minors age 19 and under- must bring one document proving residency, one proof of identity, a social security card or proof of a valid number and one proof of citizenship.
- Adults ages 19 and over- must bring two forms of identification, one proof of residency, one proof of a social security number and one proof of citizenship.
- Minors will also need parental permission to obtain a learners permit in the form of a signature on the learners permit application.
- Drivers must pass a vision screening and two-part knowledge test in order to continue.
All new drivers must also pay the combination learners permit/drivers license fee which will be $3 per year for the learners permit plus the $4 per year license fee. This can be paid with check/money order, cash, e-check, credit or check card.
Driving with a VA learners permit
New drivers may only drive with a licensed driver over the age of 21 in the front passenger’s seat at all times, unless the supervising driver is a sibling or legal guardian at which point they may be 18 or older with a valid license. Drivers must complete the required time for minors that includes 45 minutes on the road in practice with 15 being completed at night. If over 19 and not attending driver’s education you must hold the permit for practice for at least 60 days.
Be sure to download and make use of a driver’s checklist which will provide you with all of the items you will be tested on during the road test portion of testing. In addition, read up on some articles for safe driving and tips on passing your road test.
Cost of a learners permit
A learner’s permit/license fee will be due of $3 plus the yearly cost of a license which is $4 per year. The amount will depend on how many years until reaching their 20th birthday.
Steps to getting a Virginia learners permit
To receive a learner’s permit www.dmvcheatsheets.com you must apply in person at a "DMV office and complete the following steps:
- Complete and sign an application- minors must have parents sign as well.
- Turn in the application along with required proofs of identity, citizenship, and residency and provide a valid social security number.
- Take a vision screen and photograph.
- Take the ten question signs test and answer all correctly, and then complete the general portion with an 80% score to pass.
- Pay the required fees of $3 plus $4 a year license fee.
- Virginia Learner's Permit Info
- Virginia Driver's Handbook
- Virginia DMV Website
- Virginia DMV Locations
- Road Rules DMV Practice Test for Virginia Learner's Permit
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Virginia Learners Permit course
- Restrictions on Teen Drivers in Virginia
- DMV Test Questions and Answers for the Virginia DMV
- DMVCheatSheets Is Now Mobile!