South Dakota Learner's Permit Test
The South Dakota Department of Transportation (DOT) does not administer vehicle or driver licensing programs for South Dakota. There is a specific Dakota Department of Public Safety Office of Driver Licensing responsible for South Dakota driver’s licenses and learner’s permits. This division of the South Dakota DMV is also responsible for traffic violations, suspensions and revocations.
Study Material AvailableDMVCheatSheets.com offers a variety of options to help you easily prepare for and pass the South Dakota Learner's Permit Test.
- South Dakota DMV Cheat Sheet
- South Dakota DMV Online Practice Test
Getting a South Dakota Learners Permit
Who needs a learners permit?
New drivers that are at least 14 years of age may apply for a learners permit Dmvcheatsheets.com after meeting specific requirements and with written parental consent to begin the license process.
Requirements for getting a learners permit
New learners permit applicants must supply the DPS with at least four documents to satisfy the new requirements that will include:
- One proof of identity showing full legal name, date of birth and lawful presence in the US.
- One document proving a valid social security number using either a signed social security card or an alternative document from the approved list online at the DMV website.
- Two proofs of legal residency in the state that will provide the DMV with a permanent address. Minors may prove residency using two documents in their parents name if they reside in the home.
- Minors are required to bring a parent or guardian the day of application that will provide written consent allowing the minor to obtain a learners permit.
- All permit applicants must pass a vision screening and written knowledge test with 20 correct answers out of 25.
Driving with a South Dakota learners permit
New drivers are allowed to practice between the hours of 6am and 10pm on roadways as long as they are accompanied by a licensed adult over the age of 21 at all times. You must drive with the permit for 180 days or 90 days with proof of successful completion of a driver’s education course. Once you have completed these requirements, additional practice will be completed with your restricted drivers permit, moving towards your first driver’s license.
Cost of a learners permit
You will be required to pay the $20 license fee at the time of application for a learners permit with a check, cash or money order.
Steps to getting a South Dakota learners permit
To receive a learner’s permit, apply in person at your local DPS branch. Your county may require you to make an appointment in advance. In addition, minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian that will give written permission for the teen to receive a learner’s permit. Once at the DPS you will be required to:
- Complete a driver’s license application and have a parent sign if applicable.
- Submit your proof of identity including full legal name, date of birth and lawful presence in the US.
- Provide documentation showing a valid social security card and two forms of residency proof.
- Minors may submit a parent’s residency proof if applicable and those living with another person must supply consent to Use a South Dakota Address form along with two of the person’s proof of residency.
- Drivers must then pass a vision screening and written test.
- Once the tests have been passed, pay the $20 license fees by check, cash or money order and take a photograph.