South Carolina Learner's Permit Test
Study Material AvailableDMVCheatSheets.com offers a variety of options to help you easily prepare for and pass the South Carolina Learner's Permit Test.
- South Carolina DMV Cheat Sheet
- South Carolina DMV Online Practice Test
Getting a South Carolina Learners Permit
Who needs a learners permit?
Anyone wishing to obtain a drivers license of any Class must first obtain a beginners permit Dmvcheatsheets.com. Each class of license has a coordinating beginner’s permit that must be obtained at the correct minimum age. For a standard Class D learners permit, applicants must be at least 15 years old.
Requirements for getting a learners permit
In order to receive a learner’s permit, drivers of all ages must provide the correct documentation at the time of application to the DMV including:
- Proof of your full legal name and date of birth. If your name has changed at any time since your birth, documentation will be required.
- Proof of a valid social security number with either a social security card or an approved alternative.
- Proof of your US citizenship or permission to legally live in the US.
- Proof of your residency in the state and a permanent address.
- Minors under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian present to sign the application at the DMV and accept responsibility for you.
- You must also pass a vision screening and written test.
Driving with a South Carolina learners permit
If you wish to use your permit to practice, you must be accompanied by a licensed driver at least 21 years old with a minimum of one year driving experience at all times. For your safety and that of the other drivers, you must not drive between the hours of midnight to 6am. Use the practice time you are given during the 180 day period as a great way to obtain behind the wheel skills you will need to drive safely on roadways.
The DMV requires that minors complete at least 40 hours of behind the wheel training with 10 hours completed at night. You must also complete drivers training during this time which will consist of an additional 6 hours of driving time with a instructor as well as 8 hours in a classroom.
Cost of a learners permit
The learners permit will cost $2.50 and an additional $2.00 for the written test
Steps to getting a South Carolina learners permit
In order to obtain a beginners permit, you must apply in person at the DMV office and complete the following steps:
- Fill out a drivers license permit and have a parent or guardian sign the application in front of a clerk.
- Submit approved documentation proving your full legal name, date of birth and any name changes since birth if applicable.
- Provide proof of a valid social security number.
- Provide both proof of citizenship or legal presence in the US and proof of residency in the state.
- You must then pass a vision screening and written test.
- Take a photograph, sign the electronic documents and pay the appropriate fees in check, cash or money order.