Minnesota Learner's Permit Test
Study Material AvailableDMVCheatSheets.com offers a variety of options to help you easily prepare for and pass the Minnesota Learner's Permit Test.
- Minnesota DMV Online Practice Test
- Minnesota DVS Cheat Sheet
Getting a Minnesota Learners Permit
Who needs a learners permit?
A learner’s permit is required for all new drivers wishing to obtain a license or upgrade to a different class. You must be at least 15 years old to apply for a learners permit.
Requirements for getting a learners permit
You will need to provide the DVS with documentation proving your full legal name, date of birth and lawful presence in the US at the time you apply for a learners permit. The easiest form of identification that can be used would be a current license, permit from another state or a Minnesota ID card. If one of these options cannot be provided, you must choose one primary and one secondary form of proof from the approved documents list found online at the DMV website. In addition, you will need the following:
- You are required to provide proof of legal presence if not a US citizen.
- A valid social security number must be provided.
- A parent or guardian must accompany a minor to the DMV and sign the application as approval for acquiring a learner’s permit.
Driving with a Minnesota learners permit
Depending on the age of the permit holder, there are several restrictions that must be followed during behind the wheel practice with a permit as well as several requirements to fulfill including:
- Drivers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a licensed driver who is over the age of 21 at all times. Use of any cellular device while driving is strictly prohibited. Minors must use a learner’s permit to practice for at least 6 months before taking the road test. During the practice time, an approved driver’s education program must be completed that includes behind the wheel instruction.
- Over 18 permit drivers must be accompanied by a licensed driver over age 18 at all times while on the road. Those 19 and older are required to practice with a learners permit for at least three months before applying for a license.
All drivers are required to complete at least 30 hours of behind the wheel practice time with ten hours during nighttime. Minors must complete the driver’s education 30 hours of classroom training and behind the wheel instruction in addition to this requirement. All permit drivers are not permitted to drive between the hours of midnight and 5 am for safety reasons. Use practice time to become comfortable behind the wheel in order to pass the road test.
Cost of a learners permit
A learner’s permit will cost $11.25
Steps to getting a Minnesota learners permit
A learner’s permit must be obtained in person at the DVS office. Minors are sure to bring a parent or guardian to give permission for you to obtain a learners permit. In addition, you will follow these steps upon arrival:
- Complete a learner’s permit application and submit to the clerk, parents must sign the application in front of the clerk giving the minor permission to learn to drive.
- Submit required proof of identification at this time including a social security number, proof of identity and legal presence in the US.
- Complete a vision screening and pass the written test DMVCheatSheets.com with an 80% or above.
- Take a photograph and pay the renewal fees with a check, cash or money order to complete the process.