Iowa Learner's Permit Test
The Iowa Motor Vehicle Department (Iowa MVD) is responsible for the issuance of Iowa driver’s licenses, driver records & statistics, driver safety, education, accident records and statistics. According to the Governor of Iowa, there are two million drivers with an Iowa driver’s license. Driving is a right, not a priviledge. Any resident looking for a learner’s permit, driver’s license, motorcycle or commercial license need to visit their local MVD office or website.
Study Material AvailableDMVCheatSheets.com offers a variety of options to help you easily prepare for and pass the Iowa Learner's Permit Test.
- Iowa MVD Cheat Sheet
- Iowa MVD Online Practice Test
Getting an Iowa learners Instructional Permit
How old do I need to be to get a learners permit
You must be at least 14 years old to obtain an instructional permit in Iowa. All new drivers wishing to begin the licensing process must first receive an instructional permit and meet state expectations before continuing on the licensing process.
Requirements to getting a learners permit
If the application is under the age of 18, they will be required to provide an original birth certificate at the time of application. In addition the following proofs must be shown:
- A primary form of identification may be shown in substitution for the birth certificate. A secondary form of identification is also required.
- Provide a Social Security car and proof of residency in Iowa.
- A written parental consent form will also be required.
Driving with an IO Learners permit
Practice driving time should be used to master the skills necessary to be a safe driver and avoid an accident while on the roadways. It is a perfect time to assure the new driver is well versed in all of the common traffic signs and signals encountered on the road. Repetitive practice will assist the new driver in turning proper driving procedures such as turning, parking and yielding the right of way when appropriate into a natural part of safe driving habits.
Drivers may operate a motor vehicle with a licensed instructor, parent or guardian or an immediate family member over the age of 21. Other licensed drivers must be over 25 and has a parent’s written permission. You must practice driving for at least 6 months with a permit and complete at minimum of 20 hours drive time. At least 2 hours must be night time driving.
During the time of permit driving, you must complete an approved driver’s education program that includes:
- 30 hours of classroom instruction- 4 hours must be on the topic of substance abuse and driving, 20 must contain information regard railroad crossings and other safe driving practices.
- 6 hours of physical instruction, this may include the use of simulators but at least three must be actual time behind the wheel.
Cost of an Iowa learners permit
There is a $6 fee for instructional permits.
Steps to getting an Iowa learners permit
All applicants must apply in person at a local MVD office in order to apply for an instructional permit DMVcheatsheets.com. The following steps must be completed in order to receive a permit:
- Submit a completed application along with a written parental consent form.
- Provide all of the required documents showing age, identity, residency in the state of Iowa and proving you have legal presence in the form of a social security card or other approved document if a social security number has not yet been provided.
- Applicants must then pass the vision screening to prove they can safely drive on roadways, and a knowledge test DMVcheatsheets.com to demonstrate a basic knowledge of safe driving practices, awareness of traffic signs and signals and an ability to operate a vehicle correctly.
If all the above steps are completed successfully, applicants can then pay the $6 fee and receive an instructional permit