Indiana Learner's Permit Test
The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (Indiana BMV) is focused on drivers license, identification cards, learners permits, title and registration and license suspensions. At myBMV from the Indiana BMV, you can renew your vehicle registration, find locations, make branch appointments to take your written drivers test, search BMV records and more.
Study Material AvailableDMVCheatSheets.com offers a variety of options to help you easily prepare for and pass the Indiana Learner's Permit Test.
- Indiana BMV Cheat Sheet
- Indiana BMV Online Practice Test
Getting an Indiana Learners Permit
Who needs a Learners Permit?
In the State of Indiana, minors wishing to begin the process for a driver’s license must first obtain a learners permit. Anyone over the age of 15 that has successfully completed an approved driver’s education course can begin the application process.
Requirements to Getting a Learners Permit
New learners permit applications must be at least 15 years old at the time of application and provide proof that they have successfully completed a driver’s education course. In addition, each application must provide the required documents outlined by the Indiana SecureID website. A parent or legal guardian must accompany minors on the day of application. The application must pass a vision test prior to receiving their permit.
At the time of application, the teen driver under 18 must fill out an Agreement of Financial Liability state form, and it must be signed by a licensed adult driver. The form states that the adult driver assumes full responsibility for any damages or injuries to the minor, themselves and other residents that are caused by the teen driver.
Driving with an IN Learners Permit
According to Indiana law, learners permit holders must complete at least 50 hours of logged driving time accompanied by a licensed driver over the age of 25. At least ten hours must be during nighttime. You must be at least 16 years of age in order to apply. Use this time wisely to assure you are ready for the driving test and can safely operate a vehicle.
Costs of an Indiana Learners Permit
The cost of an Indiana learner Permit is $9 and is valid for two years.
Steps to Getting an Indiana Learners Permit
In order to receive your learners permit, be sure to come prepared and follow these steps for obtaining your permit:
- Provide the required proofs determined by the Indiana SecureID
- Provide proof you have successfully completed driver’s education
- Take the vision and learners permit written test. Study using your driver’s manual and take the practice tests found on dmvcheatsheets.com to assure a passing score. You must answer 15 out of 20 questions correctly in order to pass both written tests.
- Fill out your application and your financial liability form. Your supervising driver over 18 must be present and sign the form in front of a clerk.
- Pay your permit and testing fees and take your photo. Unless you are photo exempt for religious or medical reasons.