Iowa Driver's License Info, Driver's License Handbook, DMV Test
(excerpts from the Iowa MVD driver’s manual)
Information for New Residents
If you just moved into Iowa, you will be considered an Iowa resident for the purposes of
driver’s licensing and vehicle registration if any one of the following apply:
- You have registered to vote in this state;
- You have enrolled your children in public school;
- You have accepted a permanent job in the state; or
- You have resided continuously in Iowa for 30 days.
If you have a valid out-of-state license, follow these steps to receive your Iowa license.
- Go to a driver’s license station.
- Provide necessary documentation (a complete list can be found in the $CSLINK or online).
- Take required tests and turn in your out-of-state license to DOT. If your out-of-state license
is valid, you may not have to take a knowledge or road test.
- Meet Iowa title, registration and use tax requirements on your vehicle
Be sure to read this manual carefully. Not only will it provide the information to pass the driver
examination, but it will also broaden your knowledge of safe driving practices.
Specific MVD Hours of Operation and Locations
For specific hours of operation, call the driver’s license station or the Motor Vehicle Information Center at 800-532-1121.
Who Needs an Iown Driver’s License?
Anyone who operates a motor vehicle or motorcycle or moped on public streets or roads.
Who Can Apply For An Iowa Driver’s License?
- Anyone 16 years of age or older who has completed a driver education course
- Anyone 18 years or older
- Anyone who has not been found incapable of safely operating a vehicle, had their license revoked or suspended, denied or cancelled.
What Test Will I Need To Take?
You will need to pass a vision, knowledge and road test to obtain an Iowa driver’s license.
You must show proof of age, proof of residency and your social security number to obtain an Iowa driver’s license. You need to bring one primary and one secondary document to the MVD. All documents must be original. A complete list can be found in the $CSLINK or online.
If you don't pass your written test we will REFUND you 100% of your purchase with us.