Applying for A Connecticut CDL - Endorsement P (Passenger) License

by Joshua on August 07, 2014

In order to obtain a Connecticut commercial driver’s license (CDL) with Passenger Endorsement, the first thing you need to do is apply for your commercial driver instruction permit (CDIP). In Connecticut, you have to take a written general knowledge exam at one of their DMV offices. Before you take the exam, be sure to study the Connecticut Commercial Vehicle Operator’s Manual, which can be acquired at the DMV. Once you’ve familiarized yourself with exam material, head to the DMV with the following materials:

  • Your valid Connecticut Driver’s License.
  • Your social security card, or most recent W-2 form.
  • Printed confirmation notice of self-certification with DMV. This is completed through the DMV website and printed.
  • Physical examination dated within two years of the application date done by a medical examiner on an U.S. Department of Transportation Medical Examiner’s Physical Examination form.
  • A completed Application for Commercial Driver’s License . You must request this form to be mailed to you prior to, as it cannot be downloaded.

Taking the General Knowledge Exam

After the presented materials are accepted, you can take the general knowledge exam . Earning a minimum 24 out of 30 points, or 80%, is a passing grade to obtain a CDL permit. While you’re there, expect to pay $46 for the general knowledge and skills exams. If you want to earn specific endorsements, then you continue on to take additional written exams. These endorsement exams are made up of 10 questions (answering 8 correctly is a passing grade). An additional $5 fee exists for each endorsement exam taken.

As federal law dictates, all CDL and CDIP holders must provide self-certification of driving type. Go to Dmv Self Service to certify. You must be qualified for one of the following driving types:

  • Non-Excepted Interstate
  • Non-Excepted Intrastate
  • Excepted Interstate
  • Excepted Intrastate

Other Requirements

After you complete your certification, you will receive an email confirmation. Keep this email confirmation because it must be shown as proof in several circumstances:

  • Application for a new CDL
  • Renewal of current CDL
  • Change of driving type
  • Upgrade to higher class CDL
  • Application for new endorsement
  • Transfer CDL from another state

If you plan to apply for a Hazardous Materials Endorsement (H) or Public Passenger Endorsement (A, V, F, or S), then additional requirements must be met. There are four different types of Connecticut Public Passenger Endorsements for you to choose from:

  • V – required for the operation of a transportation vehicle used for transporting students, or any vehicle requiring an “A” or “F” endorsement. A certificate of safety training is also required.
  • S – required to operate a school bus or vehicle requiring an “F”, “A”, or “V” endorsement. You must also have a CDL with a P endorsement before operating a school bus.
  • A – necessary to operate a student transportation vehicle used to transport students to school-sponsored events and activities. It is also necessary for operating any other vehicle requiring an F endorsement.
  • F – required to operate a taxi, livery, vehicle, motor coach, motor bus, or service bus.

Hitting the Road after You’ve Obtained your Permit

Once you’ve obtained your permit, it’s time to learn how to drive your class of commercial vehicle. The following are options on where you can receive instruction:

  • Private driving schools
  • Vocational or technical schools
  • Community colleges
  • Trucking companies

After you’ve practiced enough, it’s time to call your DMV phone center and schedule a road exam. You will receive a confirmation through the mail with an appointment date and time. Show up on that day with your class of commercial motor vehicle and with the following materials:

  • Your Connecticut driver’s license
  • Your CDIP
  • The appointment confirmation letter received through the mail
  • The copy of the Application for Commercial Driver’s License

You’ll take the road exam administered by a DMV representative only after your vehicle has passed all parts of inspection. The exam consists of three parts:

  • Pre-trip inspection
  • Off-road course
  • Road test

Pass each part and you’re awarded a “Connecticut”: CDL, along with a $70 to $87.50 fee, depending on how long it is valid. This period may last 3.5 to 5 years, after which you may renew in person at a DMV office for $70 every four years. Each time you renew an updated background check is required, plus vision and physical exams.

100% Money Back Guarantee If You Fail
If you don't pass your written test we will REFUND you 100% of your purchase with us.

What Are You Studying For?