Since 2008 we have helped tens of thousands of people quickly and easily pass their DMV written test.
Whether you are a first time driver getting your permit or just need to renew your license, our material can help. We offer super quick "print and go" cheat sheets as well as more inclusive online practice test questions and answers.
The old adage of "you get what you paid for" is especially true in online education. Every month, our editors are working to add and improve the questions and material we offer, as well as keeping it updated. It takes significant time and money to ensure you get the very best study material available so that you are guaranteed to pass on the first try.
New drivers License in District of Colombia
Which license is for you?
Anyone residing permanently in the District of Colombia for 30 days or more that wishes to operate a motor vehicle must obtain a drivers license. First time drivers and those who will be upgrading to a new type of license will go through the new license application process. Those moving to the state will have to convert over an out-of-state license and surrender the old license to the DMV.
There are multiple license types within the state that drivers may apply for if they meet qualifications including:
- Operators licenses are the most commonly found on the road. Issued to all new drivers and new residents to the state it gives the resident permission to operate a personal vehicle on roadways.
- A motorcycle license gives a driver permission to operate a motorcycle on roadways and also refers to any motor powered vehicle that is not listed under the other classes such as a moped.
- Class A, B and C commercial licenses are work-specific and can be issued to anyone wishing to operate a commercial vehicle for a living.
Minors under the age of 18 and first time adult drivers will be required to fulfill additional steps according to state regulations in order to be granted full driving privileges including a learners permit.
What are the requirements for getting a license?
All new drivers must meet the age requirements for each license type and those under 21 will complete the graduated license process. New drivers may begin with a learners permit at the age of 16. When a new applicant applies for a license, they are required to provide several documents at the time of processing. The documents are used to prove identity, citizenship and residence and include:
- One document that will prove identity including age, date and place of birth and citizenship status. This is most commonly a birth certificate but alternatives are accepted from the approved list found online at the DMV website.
- Documentation proving minimum age requirement of 16.
- Proof of residency within the state from the approved list.
- Proof of a social security number usually with a social security card but an alternative document from the social security office may be provided.
- Non-citizens must be able to prove legal presence in the US authorizing them to live and work in the country.
- Minors must also have written parental consent.
What tests do I need to take to get a license?
All drivers license testing in District of Colombia may be done through the DMV service branch offices and include three types of examinations:
- Each new driver will be administered a vision exam and must meet state vision requirements.
- New drivers must take the written test dmvcheatsheets.com in order to move on to the final exam.
- A Road Test is the final portion of testing and will determine whether a driver is prepared to safely operate a motor vehicle on roadways.
What are the Costs of the driver’s license tests?
Each new driver will pay the $44 licensing fee at the time the written test is taken, as well as a $10 written testing fee regardless of passing score. Each time the driver must retake the written portion of the application process, the $10 fee will apply.
Preparing for the written test
Preparing for the drivers tests is essential if you wish to pass. Drivers can use the District of Colombia Drivers handbook found only online in PDF format to gain an understanding of the traffic laws, safety rules and traffic signs found on the written test. In addition obtaining cheat sheets from dmvcheatsheets.com will provide drivers with all important information necessary to pass on the first try. Drivers can also locate Practice tests when preparing as they will give you an idea of how well you are learning the material.
What to bring on test day
Licenses are issued by the state Department of Motor Vehicles service offices and require several documents to be presented at the time of application in order to be approved for a license. These include proof of identification from the reported lists, one proof of residency and a valid social security number. Applicants must bring original copies of each document showing full legal name that coordinates on each document. Non-citizens must also bring proof they are legally allowed to live in the US.
Minors under the age of 18 must also bring an original birth certificate and written parental consent if 16 to 17 years old.
Taking the drivers test
All new drivers are required to take the driving or practical test as the final step in the licensing process. The drivers test can be taken through the District of Colombia DMV office or through a private driving company certified to test.
A state office will observe the applicant’s driving skills so it is important to prepare with as much practice time on the road as possible beforehand. The examiner will be evaluating the new driver’s ability to follow traffic laws, read signs and perform maneuvers necessary for safe driving.
Taking the written test
The written test is administered by the DC Department of Motor Vehicles and will consist of multiple choice questions regarding important aspects of safe vehicle operation. The test questions will be created using practical driving information found in the Drivers Handbook regarding traffic laws, proper handling of the vehicle and traffic signs. You must receive a passing score in order to continue.
The test is administered on walk-in basis only and there will be a $10 fee for each time the new driver must take the test so it is important to pass the first time and save expenses.
Use your study material such as cheat sheets and practice tests dmvcheatsheets.com available online to assure a passing score on the first try. You will also find valuable information in detailed articles dmvcheatsheets.com written to assist the new driver in passing tests with ease.
Renewing an Arkansas Drivers license
Who needs to renew their license?
A new driver’s license will be valid for 8 years and expires on your birthday. You must renew your license in person at a local DMV service office if you wish to continue the privilege of driving.
Steps to renew your license
You will receive a renewal reminder before your license expires which will guide you in the process. It will notify you of the renewal deadline, as will as inform you of any tests you will be required to take. In addition, any outstanding tickets will be listed and must be paid before you can renew. When you visit the office you must bring:
- Your expiring driver’s license.
- The $44 mandatory renewal fees which can be paid by check, money order or any credit card except American express.
- Any corrective lenses you wear if required to take the vision test, as well as any documentation listed in your renewal notice.
Getting a Learners permit in District of Colombia
All new drivers between the ages of 16 and 21 must complete the graduated license program in order to receive full driving privileges in the state. This process begins with a learners permit issued through the DMV office.
The process for receiving a learner’s permit is similar to that of the actual licensing process and will require several steps to complete.
Requirements to getting a learners permit
Applicants must be at least 16 years old at the time of application and will require a parental consent form. In addition, all new permit applicants must provide proof of identity, residency and citizenship in order to begin the testing process. A valid social security card or equivalent must also be provided to proceed.
Driver’s education is not required for new drivers within the state. However adults and the parents of teen drivers may download several comprehensive guides online at the DMV website that will provide instruction for the learning process. Parents may download and addition guide directly specifically for an instructional guide when teaching teenagers safe driving.
A vision screening and written knowledge exam dmvcheatsheets.com must also be taken to complete the process.
Driving with an DC learners Permit
There are three stages to the graduated license process, each of which will consist of a mixture of book study and on the road driving practice time. During the first stage of the process, new drivers will learn the basics of motor vehicle control behind the wheel. There are several restrictions during this phase that must be followed while practicing.
- All new drivers under age 21 must hold a valid permit for 6 months and use this time to practice driving skills.
- Practice driving time must be logged in a valid practice certification sheet and signed by the licensed driver over 21 that accompanied the driver during practice.
- Drivers must complete 40 hours of regular practice during the day and 10 hours of night driving. Two separate driving logs showing these times must be generated and will be required to take the road test.
Steps to getting a learners permit in District of Colombia
There are several steps in receiving a permit and must be completed by all new drivers under the age of 21:
- Begin at the Department of Motor vehicles where you will turn in the required proofs. These will include the proof of identity, age and citizenship or legal presence in the US. Proof of residency and a valid social security number must also be provided.
- For minors under the age of 18 a written parental consent form is also required at this time.
- The permit applicant will then take the vision screening and written test.
- You will be required to pay a $20 learner permit fee and a $10 written test fee.
Once you have passed the test you will be issued a learners permit or learner’s license, allowing you restricted driving with an adult over the age of 21 years old.