(Excerpts copyright SC DMV)
Getting a South Carolina Driving Learner’s Permit
In SC you will need a Class D – Passenger Vehicle Beginner Permit to practice driving a vehicle when accompanied by a licensed driver.
To get a Class D Beginner’s Permit:
- You must be at least 15 years old.
- You must bring your birth certificate, social security card, proof of residency and insurance information.
- If you are under 18 years of age, you must bring your parent or legal guardian with you to sign your application.
- You must pass the vision and knowledge tests.
- You may drive from 6 a.m. to midnight if a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old and has at least one year of driving experience accompanies you in the front seat.
- From midnight to 6 a.m., you may drive if a licensed parent or guardian accompanies you in the front seat.
- You must have your beginner’s permit for 180 days before you can apply for a driver’s license.
- If you are under 18 years of age, you must practice driving with your licensed parent or legal guardian for at least 40 hours, including 10 hours during darkness, before you can apply for your driver’s license.
Exchanging a Beginner Permit from Another State
You may exchange your out-of-state beginner’s permit for a South Carolina beginner’s permit. However, if there is an exchange, you must have the permit for 180 days before you can apply for a license. The time that you held the out-of-state beginner’s permit will count toward the 180 day period. If your beginner’s permit has expired, you must take the vision and knowledge tests to obtain a South Carolina beginner’s permit.
The fee is $2.00 for the knowledge test and $2.50 for the beginner’s permit.
Note that Section 23-3-460 of the SC Code of Laws states that a person who has been convicted anywhere of an offense listed in 23-3-430 must register with the county sheriff within 10 days of establishing residency in South Carolina. A copy of the Sex Offender Registry Law is available upon request.
The South Carolina DMV Cheat Sheet contains
- Steps to getting your license
- What To Bring To The Dmv
- Requirements for getting your license
- DMV Fees
- 50 Essential Question & Answer study guide questions
- Traffic signs & signals you MUST know!
- Website and Phone for your state's DMV if you have questions
- View on your computer, tablet and now mobile phone!
- Our unconditional money back guarantee
The "South Carolina DMV Cheat Sheet" will teach you everything you need to know to pass your written test in just FOUR pages guaranteed!
If you don't pass your written test after purchasing our study guides we will REFUND you 100% of your purchase.